Friday, May 15, 2009

Not Just a Tooth...

Well, my last post about William was that he cut his first tooth Sunday night. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday he was a bit cranky, drooling like crazy, took lots of Tylenol and had a occasional drop of blood on his gums from the tooth cutting through the skin. Well, starting Wednesday night and Thursday morning, things took a different turn...



William is normally a very easy happy baby but Thursday we could not control his pain at all. We started alternating Tylenol and Motrin with not much help. Thursday night he started running a fever of 102 and I noticed clear fluid coming out of his left ear. He did not sleep Thursday night and would not eat as normal. I decided Thursday night that I would take him to the doctor first thing Friday. After only a few hours sleep, I went to get William up out of bed Friday morning and there was a pool of reddish brown drainage on his sheets - more drainage that I could have ever imagined coming from a child's ear. I thought...ear infection that lead to a ruptured ear drum! Great!

This is what his ear looks like this morning...I promise it did not look like this when I put him to bed or we would have made a visit to the doctor yesterday!



The fluid kept draining the entire way to the doctor...and yes, he has bilateral ear infections with one ruptured ear drum! Ouch!! I felt so bad waiting all week but the doctor said that if I had called they would have recommended teething treatments unless he produced a fever. I hate I waited all week but how was I to know it was not "just teething!" The fever did not start until Thursday night!

We have to go back in two weeks to make sure the ear drum heals itself. Being so young, there is a possibility that it may not heal and he may need tubes put in! Yikes!! For now, he is on two antibiotics - one by mouth and an ear drop! I hope he gets feeling better soon!



Our only problem this morning is with the medicine... the ear drop will not even go in his left ear because of all the fluid coming out! Hopefully that will decrease so I can get the drops in there!!


I absolutely hate watching one of my boys sick!! Pray we make a quick recovery and that Big Brother Zachary gives William so peaceful rest!