Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pregnancy Update!

On Monday morning after working all night, I started experiencing upper abdominal pressure/tenderness right underneath my ribs that I thought was just some gas pains because I was constantly belching. The baby was still moving around as normal and I could hear the heartbeat fine. I took several medications such as Mylanta Gas, Pepto, Tums, etc throughout the day with no relief. I tried to eat but the pressure just got worse after eating and I barely slept during the day because of the pressure when I laid down to sleep. As a nurse, I knew the best way to relieve gas was to walk so Monday night I paced the driveway and went to sleep. After a restless night, I thought I had waited long enough with the pains so I went to my doctor first thing Tuesday morning. Driving to the doctor was miserable. It felt like free air was between my uterus & ribs and I got worse as I inhaled...and at times it made me nauseated to sit upright. The first thing the doctor said is that it sounded like my gallbladder and with my uterus expanding so rapidly it would be a number of things...so she ran some labwork and prescribed me Protonix for acid reflux. She called Tuesday afternoon and said the labwork was all normal (no signs of toxicity, infections or preeclampsia) but to call if I do not get relief. Tuesday night was a second restless night (even with a sleeping pill), so, of course, I woke up Wednesday morning with a runny nose, congestion & constant sneezing (which David had over the weekend). The pressure and tenderness under my ribs is still there, mainly after I eat, and is not anything like Monday & Tuesday. So, I guess we just wait and see...and now, I have to travel to Greenville weekly to see the doctor. My pregnancy & labor with Zachary was so uneventful and easy...